May 9, 2009

Owly Owly, then there's three! Happy Mother's DAY!

This morning I was running out west, enjoying the view of the splendid Rocky Mountains, when I spied three coyotes hunched down in a pack in the tall grasses near me. It looked like a mom teacher her young. I didn't have my camera for my first big loop (five miles). I started to think about my own mom, God rest her soul, and celebrated the morning, running and thinking of all the wonderful life lessons she taught me and how much I wish she could have done so for my sons. She would have been an awesome grandmother!

In my writing I keep revisiting the subject of mothers. My first book was My Garden Visits, a testimony to moms and especially mine. Though I never grew within my mother's womb, I grew within her heart and she in mine. She was terrific! Now my series, starts with Go Ask Mom and moms are a main character focus in teaching their children. I think somehow it is a way to work things out with my own loss, by writing them down. All these years later I miss my mom so much! She never got to see my success as a writer and for gosh sakes she was an English professor. Yet, I know she knows.

Somehow because my characters get to enjoy their mom's love, it makes me feel my mom's love too. I just came to this conclusion after all these years of writing. Perhaps there is something you want to say to your mom. Don't hold back. I never did and my mom knew how much I loved her, which brings me so much comfort now.

This mom in the pictures sure gives a hoot about her kids! She is showing two of her little fledglings the world and will soon be launching them out of the nest.
I saw her on my first loop, looped back and got my camera and got these shots. Then I looped back out to see if I could get the coyotes on film, but alas they were gone. DOGGONE IT! IT ADDED TWO EXTRA MILES TO MY PLAN. I AM TIRED!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU AND FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T MOTHERS, TELL YOURS "THANK YOU" AND SHOWER HER WITH LOVE!

2 comments:

Terra said...

Totally cool, do you head out towards Waterton Canyon? I might have to take a hike with the girls (except I would end up carrying one of them!)

Bonnie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Mom! I'm going to have to check out the Go Ask Mom series and My Garden Visits...