May 26, 2009

Let's do summer WRITE!


Okay, we are extending the contest with a bit of clarification. The winner of the contest will have his or her poem published in the fourth book in the series in the same format as one of these journal entries by the narrator of the series, Gabriel Peters. He is 10 1/2 years old in the fourth book and he and his friends have a GROSS ERIE STORE dare-off.

For the entire chapter read my earlier entry. For those of you who don't want to read the whole chapter, here is the segment specific to the GROSS OFF!

This is the passage that YOUR poem (if you win) will appear in:

(GABRIEL SPEAKING, 10 1/2 year old boy)
We talked about staging a grocery store dare-off soon when we were up in the tree house last, but never decided on when. We called it a GROSS-RIE STORE DARE OFF since the ideas we had were so disgusting.
The way it works is you would walk down the aisle and choose something the other guy had to eat AND he had to pay for it, but your turn was coming so you had to decide if you were going to be brutal which meant the next time you were in for it or if you just picked stuff that wasn’t so bad, but not what a normal person would choose. The rule of the game was that you had to eat every bite of the items chosen for you either until it was gone or until it made you puke.
Everyone put their name in a hat, and one by one the names were pulled out and the person holding your name would be choosing your lunch. Andy and I always prayed we would get each other because we were best friends and would go easy on each other. We knew what the other liked and we would make combinations that might sound gross to some people but we knew each other well enough to know it would be okay.
Like the time I made Andy eat beef jerky and marshmallows. He was supposed to smash them up together according to the game, but by the time he opened up his bags everyone was so focused on their own junk they didn’t even notice that he was eating them separately. That is the best part about being best friends, you know what your buddy likes most and Beef Jerky and Marshmallows were what Andy liked most. He picked fried chicken gizzards and wintergreen Certs for me. Butch started to complain because he also knew that I always got chicken gizzards when we went to Safeway, but eating them with Wintergreen Certs wasn’t something I did and the bad thing was Butch watched me like a hawk, so I had to mix them and it was pretty gross. But even so, Andy was doing me a favor by picking my favorites and then I didn’t feel like I had wasted my own money on junk I didn’t like.
Sometimes you would choose something that was yummy like a Snickers bar, but then the person that was going to eat it had to wrap it in sauerkraut or dip it in pickle juice or something like that. Other Gross-rie dare-offs were; a loaf of white Wonderbread soaked in the juice of canned red beets until it was so soggy you had to eat it with a spoon and that was after you ate all the cold, yucky beets or three bananas smashed up and mixed with all of the little packets of stuff you got back by the deli, which would include hot, red peppers, salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, relish, hot sauce, sugar, creamer, salad dressing, mayonnaise and the worst thing ever made to eat by anyone; Miracle Whip
.


So, remember, WRITE like a kid thinks.
Short Verse with simple rhyme!

And there will be 4 winners! Grand Prize and 3 runners up! Enter as often as you want and please invite to enter too (you can post their entries on your blog)

5 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Sounds like a fun contest! I'm off to look in my fridge for some awful combos!
I'm Nikki's cousin in-law by the way (she's one of the best cooks ever; her food combinations are always yummy!).

Justin Matott said...

Perhaps a book club is in order, my books, your cooking, we talk! Cheers and nice to meet you!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Love book clubs and I think I'll have to work on a poem.

Thanks for popping by.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, have posted a poem on my blog, hopefully I've linked this all up properly.

Fab competition by the way :)

Jayde said...

hi, i have posted a poem on my blog. great competition!