May 21, 2008

A great summer read for Teen and older!



If you have ever tried to get a reluctant reader teenager to simply enjoy a book for what it is and not for points at school or to turn in as a graded review, then this book might do the trick for you. This is one of the few books that I read and whilst reading it thought of both of my sons, with wildly different taste in things as well as my wife. I handed it off to my youngest who whined and complained and then just sat down to appease me. Several hours later he was in my home office explaining points of plot and character as though I hadn't yet read it. We laughed at the insanity of the main character and of course his older brother heard us. Curiously, he wandered into my office to see what all the to do was about and felt slightly left out (kind of like when the three of us discuss the last episode of the Office in front of their mother, who refuses to watch it). My older son stated quite emphatically that he was next to read it, much to my delight and surprise. Soon he was reading, no gulping it down in huge bits and then the three of us began to discuss it. Mom, wandered in and was simply delighted that we were talking about a book and not one of our favorite, "DUMB" television shows (including, but not exclusively The Office, My Name is Earl, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development and, oh yes The Flight of The Conchords). Soon she was caught up in the CURIOUS frenzy and before we knew it, we were recommending it to friends and family. I have yet to have someone that I have recommended it to say they didn't like it, some even say they LOVED it.

Now on another note, and a totally different genre, Boy's Life by Robert McCammon, just may be one of the best books I have ever set my eyes to and I have read thousands. It is nothing like Curious, but it has the same effect when recommending it to others! Check it out (a library pun) or buy it, but read it. IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!

No comments: